Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Our experience with Breastfeeding

* On the front end I want to say that I am a firm believer in you do what is best for your family. I am NOT saying whether or not formula is right or wrong, this post will just simply be on MY personal experience. I was a formula fed baby and I'm pretty darn healthy! *

Before I ever got pregnant with the boys, I always knew I wanted to try breastfeeding. I was not going to be a stickler about it, but definitely try it. When Will came along, breastfeeding became so easy for us. We had no issues, both Will and my breast worked well together, ha. I was pretty young when I had him so by 2 months I was tired of it. Plus I started to supplement formula some and lost my supply. When Luke came around, the same thing happened with a pleasant experience in the beginning, we nursed until he was almost 4 months. Again, I was young and very modest so it did not work out as well as I wanted it to.

This pregnancy I was much older, wiser and could care less what others thought. (I'm so thankful with age comes security, at least with me it does). I was determined to nurse for as long as I wanted and not care what other's thought. Westin came along and he would not latch on. We believe it was due to him coming early and really not knowing what to do with it, each feeding lasted an hour. After 3 weeks of this, we were at a weight check at the pediatrician and he was encouraging me to go to formula. He said I had tried hard to get him to latch on and with him coming early, he just might not get it. Our Dr. saying that put some serious determination in me and I was determined to get it right. After about 4 weeks he got it and it has been a breeze since. I have had a few issues with pumps, he and I both got thrush and I did go back to work part time so getting in a good schedule was hard but once we got it, it has been wonderful. He is growing like a weed and I'm such a happy Mommy! Seeing him so healthy and a chunky monkey, makes me so happy knowing it has all come from me. It is a wonderful experience!

I never imagined nursing would be so easy and wonderful for the both of us. I regret giving up so early with Will and Luke. Breastfeeding is a special time and with Westin being my last bambino, I could not be more pleased with how perfect it has worked out.

I will say we have a few family members that frankly think it's silly for me to be nursing. It doesn't bother me, it just makes me realize they don't fully know about breastfeeding. It is not for everyone. If you want to be your own person then nursing is not for you. When you nurse, you still have to be with your baby most of the time and still take very good care of yourself. Like I said, some people just can't and some people would rather not and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. For me, I simply said since I'm blessed to be able to nurse and God gives my baby a natural supply of milk to feed him, I would be foolish to not do it. My goal is to nurse until  he is 1, I know in a few months when we start introducing food he will be nursing less and less, formula might even come into play then but until I will continue to nurse, God willing until he is 1.

I hope you all are having a blessed week! Realize that I'm not judging either way, I'm just wanting other's to know that breastfeeding can be a pleasant experience and you don't have to be shy about it. I'm a very modest person and I work with that. I don't nurse in public and if we are out I just go to the car. I'm also blessed with a very supportive husband, heck he is happy we have not had to spend $40 a week on formula! :)


No comments: